There are a few ingredients that are absolute ‘must-haves’ in my kitchen, and high on that list is a can of chickpeas. Incredibly versatile, they make a fabulously creamy hummus, give bulk and depth of flavour to a pilaf and make incredibly Tasty Chickpea Burgers!
About this recipe
Yes! There is something wonderful about the nutty flavour of chickpea that makes a really satisfying burger. Inspired by Middle Eastern cuisine and their truly delicious falafel wraps, this is a veggie burger just as good as a beef burger.
These burgers are made from healthy chickpeas combined with fragrant spices, fresh herbs and zingy lemon and chilli. Loaded up with yoghurt, chutney and vegan mayo, they are so flavoursome and super tasty!
Vegan Mayo? I hear you thinking. That’s right! While we have the chickpeas and the food processor out, there is no excuse for throwing away the amazingly useful brine from the chickpea can.
Known as Aquafaba, it’s a brilliant egg substitute and makes a delicious mayonnaise. Truly! I’ve added the recipe as a bonus below.
More Plant-Based Burgers
If plant based burgers are your thing, definitely give my Black Bean Burger recipe a go, they are almost enough to convert the committed carnivore in your life! A burger is always best with a home made bun, so if you’re a keen baker, try my super soft Homemade Burger Buns!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
These burgers have egg in them. Can they be made fully vegan?
Yes, they can! Use 2-3 Tbsp of the chickpea brine (Aquafaba) in place of the egg. It’s not quite as sticky, so be gentle when turning them in the pan. Alternatively you could try making chia egg out of chia seeds. You need to mix 1 Tbsp of chia seeds with 2-3 Tbsp of water and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Use in place of the egg in the recipe!
I don’t have a food processor, can I still make Super Tasty Chickpea Burgers?
Yes!! You’ll need to put some muscle into it though! I’d suggest gently heating the chickpeas with a little bit of the brine, then mashing them well while still hot. You’ll need to make sure you cut all the ingredients nice and fine as chunky bits will make them fall apart.
I don’t have a food processor, can I still make Vegan Mayonnaise?
Yes, you can! It works just like the old fashioned way. Use a whisk to whip the aquafaba and lemon juice until they are light and foamy, then proceed as per the recipe, whisking all the time. I find using a heavy bowl set on a wet dishcloth to stop it slipping makes the job easier.
Can I freeze chickpea burgers?
Yes! I’d freeze them after cooking, then to reheat, wrap them in tinfoil and heat in a medium oven.
Do you have any other Veggie burger recipes?
I do! Try my seriously delicious Black Bean Veggie Burgers!
Super Tasty Chickpea Burgers
for the burger patties:
- 400 g can chickpeas, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, leaves only
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, or egg alternative, see FAQ’S
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 75 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½-1 medium red chilli, very finely diced
- zest of 1 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 burger buns
- 2 Tbsp mango chutney
- 2 Tbsp yoghurt
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce leaves
- vegan mayonnaise: see bonus recipe
- MAKE THE BURGER PATTIES: Place the chickpeas, parsley, spring onions, egg and sea salt in the bowl of a food processor with the blade attachment fitted. Process on high until smooth. Scrape into a mixing bowl, add the breadcrumbs, cumin, turmeric, chilli, lemon zest and a good few grinds of black pepper, then stir until well mixed. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- ROLL THE PATTIES: After 10 minutes, divide the mixture into four, then wet your hands and shape the mixture into patties. Cover with clingfilm and chill until needed.
- PREPARE THE FILLINGS: Meanwhile, prepare the fillings. Halve and toast the burger buns, stir together the mango chutney and yoghurt and slice vegetables. If making, prepare the vegan mayonnaise.
- COOK AND SERVE: To cook, heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, then cook the burgers for 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.