At least once a week I do a fridge clear-out to use up all the odds and ends that have accumulated from all the recipes I’ve been testing. I hate wasting any kind of food, so it’s useful to have a flexible way of turning leftover bits and pieces into a delicious meal.
Puff Pastry Mini Quiches are perfect little morsels to make use of all those leftovers!
What are Puff Pastry Mini Quiches?
Just like they sound! Instead of making one big quiche, you use a muffin pan to make little lunch-sized morsels of tastiness. I use a Texas Style or jumbo pan for all sorts of recipes. The bigger capacity (around ¾ of a cup) means it is just right for lining with puff pastry to make quiches.
What can you put into a mini quiche? Anything and everything! Whatever needs using up. Ham, chicken, veg, odds and ends of cheese, anything that is looking a bit sad in the vegetable drawer (especially herbs!) it’s all good.
I’ve included some simple ingredients in the recipe card but you can go wild here really.
Brilliant for lunchboxes!
Whether it is for work or school, mini quiches are a fantastically transportable lunch that you can take on the go. They’re great for picnics and parties too.
They are super quick and easy to make.
I love making pastry, but I also always have a roll or packet of puff pastry in the fridge as it is a brilliant standby for making quick meals like these. In this case, it’s simply a matter of cutting to size, pressing into a muffin tin and then filling with quiche-y goodness. Yum!
If you have leftover rotisserie chicken it is brilliant with a little brie and cranberry. I love a classic ham, cheese and tomato too. Feta cheese and mushroom with a bit of fresh thyme is always a winner too.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use shortcrust pastry to make mini quiches?
Yes! Use whatever you have to hand. The better quality pastry you use, the tastier your quiches will be.
Can I use cream instead of milk to make mini quiches?
Absolutely! I always use cream or creme fraiche to make my big quiches but I like these little ones to be a little lighter. If you’ve got cream to use up, go for it!
Can I freeze mini quiches?
Yes! These are great prep ahead snacks so you can bake them, let them cool and then wrap tightly in foil before freezing. Reheat in the oven or the microwave.
What else can I use a jumbo muffin pan for?
They are the perfect size for making pies! Check out my recipe for Beef and Lentil Cottage Pies!
Puff Pastry Mini Quiches
Perfect for picnics, lunchboxes or even parties, Puff Pastry Mini Quiches are a fantastic way to make a few ingredients go a long way. Quick and simple to make, they are ready to eat in just half an hour. Yum!
for the pastry cases:
- 300g (10.5 oz.) roll of puff pastry / 2-3 sheets puff pastry
for the custard:
- 3 large eggs
- 250ml (1 cup) full-fat milk
- 3 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano or Herbes de Provence
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
for the filling:
- 100g (3.5 oz.) Cheddar or Swiss cheese, grated
- 4 slices prosciutto or bacon, diced
- 3 mushrooms, diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- PREPARE: Heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6 with a baking tray on the lower shelf. Cut 6 squares of baking paper and use to line a 6-cup ‘Texas-Style’ or jumbo muffin pan. (see note).
- LINE THE CASES: Cut 6 squares of pastry and press into each of the muffin pan cups. I find it helpful to make a small cut on each side of the pastry so that it overlaps and fits into the pan better.
- MAKE THE CUSTARD: In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, with all the other custard ingredients. Set aside.
- FILL THE QUICHES: Divide the filling ingredients evenly between the pastry cases, beginning with half of the grated cheese and ending with the other half and the tomatoes. Pour in the custard.
- BAKE: Bake the mini quiches in the preheated oven for 30 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature with a crisp green salad.
A Texas Style or Jumbo muffin pan has a capacity of 180ml / ¾ of a cup in each mufifn hole.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 mini quiche
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 132mgSodium: 1471mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a star rating in the recipe card and share it using the buttons below so that others can find it too!