Sometimes even I don’t feel like cooking. Long summer days and steamy nights can make the idea of cooking a big meal just seem like too much effort. These are the days when we just want to open the fridge and have something jump out, ready for picking or grazing at, perhaps sat on the terrace or balcony with a chilled glass in hand. Am I right?
This is the time of year that I like to put together big platters of nibbles, a mixture of fresh veg, pantry and fridge staples and usually a big bowl of dip to round things off. Enter the recipe of the day: Whipped Feta and Honey.
How do you make Whipped Feta?
Making Whipped Feta is so simple that it’s hardly a recipe at all, more of a springboard for ideas (though that doesn’t make it any less delicious).
To make Whipped Feta, you take equal amounts of salty, delicious feta cheese and combine it with thick, creamy Greek yoghurt, beating it until light and airy.
Stir in some herbs and flavourings and then top it with honey and crunchy walnuts. Sound good? It is!
How to serve Whipped Feta Cheese
I like to serve my Whipped Feta and Honey with a big platter of quickly grilled Mediterranean vegetables, and other snacks from the region: salami, grapes, olives and similar.
You can mix and match things depending on how you feel and on what’s in your fridge. If you don’t have a barbecue, the vegetables can also be roasted in the oven – or you can use good quality antipasti from the delicatessen.
I hope these long summer days are finding you relaxed, happy and healthy. Take care out there and happy cooking! x J
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use low-fat yoghurt or feta to make whipped feta?
This is a question I get all the time! Unfortunately, low-fat dairy products don’t work very well in dips or cooking. The reason is that they are given an artificial thickness through stabilisers and other chemicals, which means they don’t hold up to beating or cooking. I’d recommend using full-fat dairy in this recipe.
How long will the whipped feta keep?
The whipped feta should last several days in the fridge. If you know that you are making it well in advance, don’t add the olive oil or garlic until just before serving as they can become bitter.
WHIPPED FETA AND HONEY RECIPE
- 200g (7 oz.) feta cheese
- 200g (7 oz.) Greek yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- few grinds black pepper
- 50ml (3 Tbsp) runny honey
- 50g (2 oz.) chopped nuts
- fresh oregano (optional)
for the vegetables:
- 1 large aubergine/eggplant, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- nuts, salami, grapes, olives, etc.
- fresh bread
- BLEND THE FETA AND YOGHURT: In the bowl of a food processor with the blade attachment fitted process feta, yoghurt and olive oil until smooth. Add oregano and garlic, pulsing to combine. Season to taste with black pepper.
- CHILL: Transfer the whipped feta to a small, flat bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- GRILL VEGETABLES: To make the grilled vegetables brush the aubergine, zucchini and pepper with the olive oil and cook on a barbecue grill until soft, turning only once. On my barbecue, this takes around 5-7 minutes each side. When cooked, season well with salt and pepper, then arrange on a serving platter and drizzle with a little extra oil and squeeze over some lemon juice.
- ADD HONEY AND SERVE: Use the back of a spoon to create a hollow in the top of the whipped feta. Pour in the honey, then sprinkle over the walnuts and oregano if using. Place on the platter and surround with extra nuts, salami, grapes, and olives. Serve immediately with fresh bread.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 490mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 7gSugar: 20gProtein: 14g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically and isn’t always accurate.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a star rating in the recipe card and share it using the buttons below so that others can find it too!