On the weekend there are few breakfasts I enjoy more than hot buttered toast, laden with tomatoey baked beans. Whether served simply, just as they are, or going the whole hog with a full English, baked beans will always set you up for the day.
So much better than beans from a tin, Homemade British Style Baked Beans are rich and tomatoey – perfect for a weekend brunch. Make up a big batch when you have time and you can have your breakfast or brunch ready in a flash.
There are a lot of recipes around that tell you to crack open a few tins of precooked beans and stir them through a tomato sauce. This is fine if you are in a hurry, but in that case, you may as well just buy some tins of baked beans. By soaking the dried beans overnight you get a head start on the cooking time, and the flavour is so much better.
What’s your favourite vegetarian meal? Let me know in the comments below. Take care out there and happy cooking, xJ
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below, or using the hashtag #daysofjay on Instagram. Happy cooking!
British Style Baked Beans
So much better than beans from a tin, Homemade British Style Baked Beans are rich and tomatoey - perfect for a weekend brunch. Make up a big batch when you have time and you can have your breakfast or brunch ready in a flash.
- 400g dry white beans (haricot, navy or cannellini)
- 1 Tbsp neutral oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed (optional)
- 400g tin of tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Rinse the beans, place in a large bowl, cover with 1 litre of cold water and leave to soak at room temperature overnight - 8-12 hours is ideal.
- In the morning, drain the beans, rinse again and place in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Cover with 1.5 litres of cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, skim off any froth for the top of the water and cook, stirring occasionally for 60-90 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the age of your beans, so start checking to see how tender they are at around the 45-minute mark.
- To make the sauce, heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan. Cook the onions gently for 5 minutes until softened but not browned. Add the carrot and celery and continue to cook until softened. Add the garlic (if using) and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour in the tomatoes and vinegar, then add the sugar, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce paprika and salt, stir to combine, then simmer until the sauce has reduced. Season to taste. If you want a smooth sauce, you can use an immersion or stick blender to puree it at this point.
- When the beans hare cooked and tender, drain, then add to the sauce with 250ml of water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Taste and add a little more sugar, salt or vinegar to taste.
- Serve on buttered toast, or go the full English and serve with bacon, fried eggs, sautéed mushroom and black pudding!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 1339mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 9gSugar: 8gProtein: 11g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically and isn’t always accurate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make baked beans in advance?
Yes! Make up a big batch and you’ll have some ready when you want them. Beans freeze really well in their sauce, so if you’re not going to eat them within a few days, divide them up and freeze.
Does it matter what sort of beans I use to make baked beans?
I find haricot beans to be the most satisfying, but all white beans will work. The timings in the recipe are for haricot beans so if your beans are larger or smaller you will need to adjust.
Do I really need to soak the beans overnight?
Soaking the beans overnight softens them and reduces the cooking time. As long as you throw them in some water before you get into bed, they’ll be perfect for cooking in the morning.