Burger season is well underway in my household! As the days get hotter and the summer holidays approach, we spend most of the time eating salads and grilled meats. That doesn’t mean I’ve abandoned the kitchen altogether, as one of my all-time favourite burgers is actually oven baked rather than grilled.
My Spicy Chicken Burgers are made from chicken thigh fillets, which are marinated in buttermilk to make them extra tender. Crumbed and roasted to golden brown perfection, they are so delicious on homemade burgers with plenty of spicy sauce. I’ve also shared a recipe for a quick and easy coleslaw to go alongside.
Baked not Fried
They may not have a whole 11 secret herbs and spices, but these crumbed chicken thighs can definitely compete with the Colonel’s best!
The secret to perfectly juicy chicken is first marinating it in buttermilk (which makes it juicy and tender) and then baking it in the oven. Not only is baking way less stressful than deep frying, but it’s also lighter, healthier and super easy.
To make my Spicy Chicken Burgers you’ll need the following main ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs: So much better than ground chicken! Chicken thighs are juicy, flavoursome and perfect for burgers.
- Buttermilk: I mean the tangy, cultured kind, rather than buttermilk made from churning cream. The acids in the buttermilk tenderise the chicken, making it absolutely irresistible.
- Spices: I use a mixture of cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, turmeric, garlic powder and cumin. So tasty!
- Mayonnaise and Sriracha sauce: Stirred together with a hint of lime juice, these two ingredients make the most delicious spicy burger sauce.
- Burger toppings and buns: I like to keep my toppings simple: lettuce, tomato and cheese. If you like, you could add some red onion rings or jalapeños for a little extra kick. I like to bake my own Super Soft Burger Buns, but if you want to keep things easy, just use a good quality brioche bun.
How to make Spicy Chicken Burgers
- First, you’ll need to marinate the chicken thighs in a mixture of buttermilk and spices. You can start this step up to 24 hours in advance, and at least 1 hour before cooking.
- After the chicken has marinated, dredge it through some spiced bread crumbs, then roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare your favourite burger toppings and my quick coleslaw.
- Then all you need to do is assemble your burgers and enjoy!
Chicken Thigh vs. Chicken Breast
I always use chicken thighs in my burgers, because they are flavoursome, juicy and almost impossible to overcook. If you are determined to use chicken breasts, stir a little melted butter or olive oil through the bread crumbs and cook for 25 minutes at 220°C / 425°F / Gas 7.
Chicken thighs are one of the most forgiving cuts of meat to cook in the oven. Even if they have been overcooked, chicken thighs are likely to stay tender and juicy, so it is a great meat for beginner cooks.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW LONG TO COOK CHICKEN THIGHS AT 350°F / 180°C?
Chicken thighs will cook at this temperature in around 40-45 minutes,
HOW TO TELL IF CHICKEN THIGHS ARE COOKED?
A lot of people are worried about raw chicken, but it is really very simple. If you insert the tip of a sharp knife into the chicken thigh at the thickest part, any juices should run clear. If you cook to the times given in this recipe you won’t have a problem at all.
If you are at all uncertain, I recommend using an instant-read thermometer. Chicken is cooked at an internal temperature of 74°C / 165°F.
Can I prepare these burgers in advance?
You can marinate the meat up to 24 hours in advance. Chicken thighs also reheat well, so if you like, cook up the chicken thighs and reheat when you need them.
Spicy Chicken Burgers Recipe
for the chicken:
- 6 large chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 250ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (or other chilli powder)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs (Panko)
- 1 tsp mild red pepper flakes
for the Sriracha mayo:
- 250ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp spicy Sriracha chilli sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
for the burgers:
- 6 burger buns
- 6 slices cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- lettuce leaves
for the quick coleslaw:
- ¼ of a large Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 spring onion (scallion), sliced
- small bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp white sugar
- pinch of salt
- fresh corn
- MARINATE THE CHICKEN: Check the chicken for any bone fragments, trim off any remaining skin then place in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the buttermilk, then add the cayenne pepper, salt, turmeric, garlic, cumin and a few grinds of black pepper to the bowl. Stir well, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- CRUMB THE CHICKEN: When ready to cook, heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4 and line an oven tray with baking parchment paper. Stir together the breadcrumbs, chilli flakes and a few grinds of salt and pepper in a large, flat dish. Shake off any excess buttermilk from the chicken, then coat each thigh in breadcrumbs.
- COOK THE CHICKEN: Lay the chicken thighs in a single layer on the prepared baking tray and cook for 40-50 minutes until golden brown.
- MAKE THE SPICY MAYO: Stir together the mayonnaise, sriracha and lime juice in a small bowl, then chill until needed.
- PREPARE THE TOPPINGS AND SIDES: Prepare your burger buns, cheese, tomatoes and lettuce. Stir together the cabbage, carrot, spring onion and parsley in a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil and sugar and drizzle over, tossing to coat. Boil corn until tender.
- ASSEMBLE: When the chicken has cooked, assemble the burgers starting with some Sriracha mayonnaise and a slice of cheese on the bottom bun. Top with your choice of fillings and a hot chicken thigh. Serve with coleslaw and corn on the side.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 763Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 1743mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 48g
Nutrition is calculated automatically and may not always be accurate.
If you enjoyed this recipe, please leave a star rating in the recipe card and share it using the buttons below so that others can find it too!