The question I get asked more than anything else about cooking is: ‘What should I make for dinner?’ It’s so easy to get into the same old rut with cooking, especially after a long day at work, when all you want to do is put your feet up and relax. It’s useful then, to have a few recipes up your sleeve that are simple to prepare, easily varied depending on what you have on hand, and most importantly, tasty.
Today’s recipe for Baked Honey Lime Chicken is just such a meal. There is little more effort involved than slicing up a few onions, whisking together a quick sauce and letting the oven work some magic. In 45 minutes the house is filled with the aroma of roast chicken, and dinner is ready, all made in one dish so there’s less cleaning up – how good is that?
I’ve loaded this recipe up with sweet honey, tangy lime and juicy fresh peaches. I promise this is nothing at all like 70’s apricot chicken, it’s lighter, fresher and very good. It’s also a great base recipe to work from. Don’t have peaches? Leave them out. Want to throw some extra veg in? Go right ahead! Mix and match flavours to suit your tastes, the cooking time doesn’t change.
Do you have a never-fail recipe for midweek dinners? Let me know in the comments below. Take care out there and happy cooking! xJ
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below, or using the hashtag #daysofjay on Instagram. Happy cooking!
- 2 onions, sliced
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 3 Tbsp runny honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- juice of 1 juicy lime
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- salt and pepper
- long-grain rice
- small bunch coriander / cilantro, leaves only
- 2 spring onions / scallions, finely sliced
- green chillies (optional)
- lime wedges
- sesame seeds
- Heat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas 6. Spread the onions over the base of a baking dish that is large enough to hold all of the chicken thighs in one layer. Season the chicken thighs well with salt and pepper and place on top of the onions. Tuck the peach slices all around the thighs.
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey, soy sauce, ginger and garlic, brush two thirds over the chicken thighs, then roast in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, basting with the remaining glaze halfway through cooking. When the chicken is golden brown and cooked through remove from the oven.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then serve immediately with rice, coriander, spring onions, chillies (if using), lime wedges and scatter over some sesame seeds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 811Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 333mgSodium: 1010mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 5gSugar: 31gProtein: 66g
Nutrition information is calculated automatically and isn’t always accurate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make Baked Honey Lime Chicken with chicken breasts / boneless chicken thighs?
Yes! Chicken breasts don’t need quite so much time in the oven, so check them to see when they are done. Boneless thighs will work the same way as bone-in.
I can’t get limes! What should I use instead?
This recipe is great with lemon too, anything tart to cut through the sweetness of the honey.
Can I make Baked Honey Lime Chicken in advance?
Yes, you can. You can reheat it in a low oven, or it makes great leftovers for work the next day.